Thursday, September 11, 2008

Finally... Some time to catch my breath!

I have been going non-stop since I moved here to Kennewick. I LOVE my new job- I love my team, my administration, the kiddos, my subject... pretty much everything. I haven't felt this happy and content and more like myself in years! Miguel is absolutely LOVING being here. He is so happy to be at Livingston Elementary in Pasco. He has a great teacher, Mr. DuVall, who has made such a great impression on Miguel. He really encouraged Miguel to be in band, so Miguel is now playing the trombone! He's also taking voice lessons from a wonderful instructor, Kayla, at the Tri-Cities Ballet and Music Academy in Richland. It's just been such a fantastic ride so far. It is the honeymoon period, so to speak, but I'm enjoying it as long as it lasts!

I have the privilege of working with some really outstanding teachers- they are innovative, caring, and truly work as a team. I feel very blessed to be working with them. My love and passion for teaching has been rekindled with this move. I think that last year, since I was so not happy being in Sunnyside, I don't feel like I was the best I could have been. Of course, I almost always feel that way (there's always need for improvement), but looking back, I wasn't the same enthusiastic teacher as I've been in the past. I feel like I am now, though. I truly love what I'm doing. I also feel so grateful for my decision to have Miguel be in a school and area that can provide better opportunities for his personal growth. I can't help but smile when I pick him up from school and he's playing with some incredible kiddos. He participates in an on-site Boys and Girls' Club at Livingston, and he absolutely loves it! I am so impressed every time I pick him up or drop him off because all the kiddos are playing together, there's no arguing, no name-calling, no rudeness...just kids playing and enjoying each other. It's fabulous!

I am still taking classes for my Master's and Endorsement, but I've been really lucky to have some classes substituted for others, so I am able to stay in Tri-Cities and not have to travel to Toppenish weekly. I am assisting my dean and advisor, Dr. Schmidt, in the Sociolinguistics class. He wants me to be trained in teaching it so that next fall, he can hand the class over to me! I will be guaranteed a job at Heritage at CBC for each semester! I'm already signed to teach two classes this spring: ENG 330 (Applied Linguistics I -the same one I taught last year) and ENG 340 (Modern Grammar or Syntax- kind of dry, but I'll make it work!) Anyway, I'm super excited at all the experience I'm gaining. I feel really blessed.

I hope all is well for everyone. I do have to run since I have guided reading groups to create for my reading enhancement class that starts tomorrow! :) Take care!

3 comments:

Melissa DeLeon said...

Glad to hear the transition was not difficult, and especially that Miguel is doing so well in the new environment.
Congrats on the new adventures! Monico started his Masters in Teaching program last week, so by this time next year, he'll could be taking your OLD job as a "plain old" Social Studies teacher! :P

Rachel said...

BECKY!!!!!!!! Oh, sorry, um, Becca! You're a Tri-Citian now! Whoohoo! How exciting - I know SHellee is so stoked to have you there! Good luck, beautiful, with your new job and new community!

P.S. I can hardly believe how BIG Miguel is!

Tiffanie and Jeff Bodine said...

Hi becca, I found your blog!! And although we'll be sorry to see you leave Sunnyside, I know you really weren't happy here & I'm thrilled to hear how much happier you are and how well you & Miguel are doing! Take care & enjoy your new teaching experience! ((hugs))